Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Real Work Begins...

Ok, so I just got back from class not too long ago. The good news is that I got my project idea approved. The bad news is that I have a lot of work ahead of me.

I already had a lot of sketches since this is something I started before the class began, but even though he likes them I kind of have to rework them, the ones I choose to use as my final pieces anyway. I drew them in a manga style that's my own, but the professor want's me to make it even more unique.

"A lot of manga is done in similar styles, but a few of them are unique enough to not be mistaken for anyone else's. Katsuhiro Otomo's Akira or Tsugumi Ohba/Takeshi Obata's Death Note are a few examples of them. Try to create one that stands out from the rest."

He said more than that, but that was basically what he said. It did upset me at first, but the more he and my classmates said, the more motivated I became. It's like I've adopted *Saiko's sheer determination.

But if that's not hard enough, he also wants to see if I can get it far enough so that it's in color. Color!? I was going to make it a manga. Manga uses screentones, not color. A lot of them do anyway. It takes me months to color one drawing. I don't even know what medium to use. Digital? Pastels? Acryllic?

I'm what you call a jack-of-all-trades. I don't do well with color. I'm still trying to master pencil and ink. Coloring 4-5 pages of a fairytale manga in a few months...now there's a challenge. Can it be done? Honestly, I don't think I can. But I sure as hell am going to try. I want to make it etherial, organic and beautiful, but also professional.

So here's the challenge: Draw 4-5 manga fairytale, ink them, and color them, all in about 3-4 months. That means I have to have at least a page and a half completely done in one month.

Good luck to me >.<

The next post is going to have sketches. Hurrah!!

1 comment: